Wednesday, May 12, 2010

THE ICE CREAM CUPCAKE

It just so happened that this month, one of my favorite blogs, the Cupcake Project, is hosting a contest (along with Scoopalicious): the Ice Cream Cupcake Contest. Well, I've never made an ice cream cupcake before, but was I willing to try?

Yes, yes I was.

The first step was to come up with a plan of attack. I was considering a modification of my usual Orange Utopia Cookies (recipe coming soon!), possibly a marbled cupcake with orange sherbert and white frosting. The Orange Utopia Cupcake, second evolution of the Orange Utopia Cookie. What I decided, though, was that I needed something even more creative.
And so the Swedish Fish Ice Cream Cupcake was born.

First step is to chop lots of swedish fish candies, sprinkling with flour as you go. The flour serves the double purpose of preventing them from sticking together, and maybe preventing you from eating them all immediately.You know what goes really well with swedish fish? Lemon. Lemon does. So I whipped up a lemon buttercream, and went out to buy some lemon sorbet for the ice cream.
I ended up purchasing this. If you'll allow me to get up on my soapbox for a minute, I love the Haagen-Daaz "Five" brand. The ice cream is tasty and rich, and I like the idea of understanding all the products on an ingredients list. No seaweed, no high-fructose anything, no tumeric, no propylene glycol. The lemon ice cream was rich, lemony, and very delicious.

To make the cupcakes, of course, I just put some ice cream on each one (do you know how hard it is to get nice round spheres? It's hard, man), then piped the yellow frosting onto them. I topped them with some swedish fish and a sprinkling of red sugar (mash sugar and food color in a bag until it homogenizes).Delicious.
Having a cute platter around helps too, of course. Below are two different styles. The Little Boy and Fat Man, if you will.
Marvelous!

3 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous! Thanks so much for entering! I love the colors...I just want to eat them up...!

    Bethany@Scoopalicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. what and why? where are the gd cut up swedish fish?

    ReplyDelete